Welcome to Mandonese!

歡迎大家! Mandonese is a community for parents who want to teach their children Mandarin and/or Cantonese. Please sign up to the website and find out we're all about.

1. Guest, please do not post any links until you have 3 posts, it will be rejected to prevent spam. This also affects signatures and "About You" in you profile.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do Asians use chopsticks, the worst possible utensil for eating rice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Andrew

Andrew Administrator
    Staff Member

2. xoAims

xoAims New Member

3. Andrew

Andrew Administrator
    Staff Member

This is great, I love the bit when she eats the entire cake all at once using chopsticks :D. Here's the embedded version:

In my family we tend to eat a lot of Western food with chopsticks too, like spaghetti and pasta. It is just way more efficient than using a fork.

I also get annoyed as I'm the only person who uses chopsticks properly. With proper technique you can cut food in the middle of the table, you can pick fish meat from the bone, you can do way more in the majority of situations as long as the food is prepared correctly in bite-size chunks.

4. CantoMumYin

CantoMumYin New Member

We eat with my daughter at the table for the point of teaching her etiquette and especially how to use chopsticks. It's such a versatile tool, I cook with them, beat eggs, pick things out from awkward spots around the house, so many uses for the chopsticks! I bought my daughter a chopstick connector for the top of hers so she can practice but she prefers to take it off and copy us!

5. Andrew

Andrew Administrator
    Staff Member

Chopsticks for kids are a very good idea - we were thinking of getting these Thomas the Tank Engine (Percy or James seem to be available on eBay). Did your chopstick connectors just work with any pair as an addon?
    $_57.JPG

6. flickserve

flickserve New Member

A very entertaining video on chopsticks:D

You know 2nd/3rd/4th generation chinese immigrants will lose chinese language skills.

However, chopstick skills get passed on through the generations.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  7. HowieP

HowieP Member

Those chopstick connectors are a great introduction for kids, but you can also fashion the same thing on the fly really easily. Fold up a small piece of paper (like the paper sheath from chopsticks in a restaurant) and sandwich it at the top, then tighten a hairband around the top. I've done this more than once when my daughter was learning and we forgot her 'learning chopsticks'

8. Andrew

Andrew Administrator
    Staff Member

Great tip, can you post a photo of this, I'm having a hard time visualising it.

9. HowieP

HowieP Member

Sure; let me see if I can attach a few pictures. There are two versions of this, both using disposable chopsticks that many restaurants have. The first is a basic solution where you fold the paper packaging and slide it gently between the still connected sticks, being careful not to go too far up or they snap. The second allows a wider gap (better for older kids) but requires an elastic band or hair tie to keep the top fastened. Here's the basic version:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

10. crispily

crispily New Member

The Thomas training chopsticks worked out great for my family. The more advanced level has fewer rings for the fingers.

While the connectors make it easy for kids pick up food, the tweezer-like technique is not really the same as using real chopsticks. I'm not sure how the child will manage when the connector is removed.

11. ryvchong

ryvchong New Member

12. hanovercigars

hanovercigars New Member

Is there a proper way of using chopsticks?