Welcome to Mandonese!

歡迎大家! Mandonese is a community for parents who want to teach their children Mandarin and/or Cantonese. Please sign up to the website and find out we're all about.

1. Guest, please do not post any links until you have 3 posts, it will be rejected to prevent spam. This also affects signatures and "About You" in you profile.
    Dismiss Notice

viki

Discussion in 'Technology' started by flickserve, Mar 25, 2015.

1. flickserve

flickserve New Member

Viki.com provide Asian serialisations.

It's also available as an app. If you do not want the ads, then there is a subscription option.

There is a plethora of Korean ones (everything Korean is fashionable).

There are ones from China - I am watching one set in the Tang Dynasty that has a time travel swing to it - it satisfies my curiosity.

Happy watching.

2. Andrew

Andrew Administrator
    Staff Member

Man I LOVE Viki.

The best thing about it (apart from crowdsourced subtitling) is the comment system - it displays comments in real-time, so it really feels like you are watching with lots of other people! Loads of Korean stuff there, and Mandarin too, not sure about Cantonese.

3. flickserve

flickserve New Member

I haven't looked for Cantonese material. My focus is on Mandarin and it's proving to be bloody hard! Knew I should have done more as a kid but there were very few interesting topics for a teenager in my days. Now past middle aged but still trying. I agree about the comments on viki - it does make it seem more involved.

4. Andrew

Andrew Administrator
    Staff Member

There's loads of Chinese content out there - it's just built only to be consumed by Chinese people - they mostly only have Chinese subtitles. You can easily find tons of stuff on piracy networks like PPStream/PPTV.

A lot of content has been localised with subs/dubs for TV in Hong Kong, Malaysia, etc. but it's impossible to find copies these days. Which is why Viki is such a breath of fresh air for English as a first language consumer - nearly everything they have is fully subbed in English.

Occasionally you find other projects on YouTube and such. I remember after finishing Huan Zhu Ge Ge series 1 (Mandarin with English subtitles) there was literally no one who had completed the translation for series 2. However this project was completed by a group a few years later and uploaded to YouTube: