Welcome to Mandonese!

歡迎大家! Mandonese is a community for parents who want to teach their children Mandarin and/or Cantonese. Please sign up to the website and find out we're all about.

1. Guest, please do not post any links until you have 3 posts, it will be rejected to prevent spam. This also affects signatures and "About You" in you profile.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars - Cantonese dub - Original Trilogy, Prequels, Clone Wars and others

Discussion in 'Cantonese Songs and Cartoons' started by Andrew, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Andrew

Andrew Administrator
    Staff Member

I recall looking for a Star Wars Cantonese dub several years ago and not being able to find any information on this for quite some time. Many online listings show Star Wars in Cantonese for Episode I-III but the original trilogy Cantonese dub was nowhere to be found. Eventually I got in contact with reddit user "veryuglyxeno" who has done all the hard work of creating a watchable Cantonese dub of Star Wars. He has spliced together audio from a rare TVB broadcast which featured a full professional Cantonese audio dub, and painstakingly resynced with higher quality video footage.

I've always thought that once I'd found a good Cantonese dub I'd put information about it online so that others can find it, and to prove it does exist!

Here are some clips I've put onto YouTube:

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back - Cantonese audio - Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker duel

Star Wars Episode IV: The Empire Strikes Back - Cantonese audio - Death Star battle

What other Star Wars has been dubbed into Cantonese? As far as I'm aware there is the following:
    • Prequel Trilogy - Episodes I-III
    • New Trilogy - Episode VII
    • Star Wars Clone Wars season 1-5 (of which I have season 1-2) - this is the CGI animated series - fairly rare
    If you are interested in finding a copy of these rare dubs please see information about the Mandonese Video Library.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016