Welcome to Mandonese!

歡迎大家! Mandonese is a community for parents who want to teach their children Mandarin and/or Cantonese. Please sign up to the website and find out we're all about.

Introduce yourself! 介紹自己!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Ethan

Ethan New Member

我來自中國廣東。
    Hi,I come from GuangDong,China .

加入到這裡,希望替女兒找到更多的廣東話動畫輔助她的成長。
    I joined here looking for cartoon resources of cantonese , also trying to creat an environment for my daughter .

2. Flo Toronto

Flo Toronto New Member

你好,請問你們在哪裡居住?我在加拿大多倫多。

3. NessNZ

NessNZ New Member

Hi everyone!

I'm Nessie. I'm really happy to have found this forum. I was born in Hong Kong but have lived in New Zealand since the age of 5. I'm married to a Kiwi bloke and we have a 8 month old baby girl. I am trying to speak Cantonese to my daughter but my spoken canto is basic only. I can't really read or write and my husband and I communicate in English.

When I go back to work full time my daughter will be 13 months will go to daycare so I'm quite worried that she won't pick up Cantonese. We live in Auckland and I haven't found any Cantonese childcare/playgroups. Combined with the fact I can't read her Chinese books I'm feeling a little apprehensive about my ability to teach her Cantonese. Am thinking of enrolling her in Mandarin classes when she is older (not sure what age is best?) So am really looking forward to reading about others' experiences and strategies and using the great resources on this site.

4. Yourcoolness

Yourcoolness New Member

Hi everyone,

I was born and raised in Los Angeles. My first language was Cantonese but English is no doubt the language I am most comfortable with. My grandparents are originally from the Guangdong province, but my parents were both born in different parts of Southeast Asia (then met in LA!) I still mostly speak to my parents in Cantonese, and I'd say my level of Cantonese is pretty good for conversations but I think my vocabulary could use a lot of improving. I started going to weekend Chinese school to learn Mandarin at the age of 5 and continued that for TEN YEARS. As a result, I can understand Mandarin and can get by conversationally. My message comes across but I don't always say what I need to say in the best possible way... just the best way I know how. I can also read and write.

I'm married to a Cambodian American and we have a 1-year-old son who I speak Cantonese to. My husband is learning Cantonese with my son. If he can say it in Cantonese, he will, otherwise, he speaks to him in English. Sometimes I read to my son in Cantonese and sometimes in Mandarin, but I rarely speak to him in Mandarin. He also attends a home daycare where the owner regularly uses both Cantonese and Mandarin, so I'm hoping that the early exposure means that he'll be trilingual in Cantonese, Mandarin, and English.

5. TwoPrawns

TwoPrawns New Member

• What's your background? CBC :)
    • How good is your Chinese? Quite well, all things considered!
    • How many children do you have? 3
    • What language would you like them to learn? Cantonese and Mandarin... not necessarily in that order.

6. BL888

BL888 New Member

Hi All , Im Bobby. Born in UK and parents are from HK. My first language is hakka followed by cantonese. I have recently started learning mandarin at work ( i work for a Chinese Bank in London). I have 3 kids and my eldest is learning mandarin at our local chinese school.

Great to meet you all...

7. ryvchong

ryvchong New Member

I'm Rachel and I'm from Toronto, Canada. I picked up a (very) basic level of Cantonese from my great-grandma and my parents growing up. I have two young boys who are learning Mandarin through an online course, and I've been learning alongside them. I also have a toddler, and he loves watching Peppa Pig in Cantonese! While I missed the opportunity to teach my older boys Cantonese, I'm hoping to buff up my Cantonese to a level that would at least support my todder's learning. It often feels like a pipe dream, but I hope my kids (and I) will someday achieve true fluency in Chinese. My eldest loves Peking duck, so right now a goal for him is to become self-sufficient in ordering his favourite dish! :)

8. soh

soh New Member

Hello - I came across this forum during my attempt to find Cantonese resources that I could use for my kids. Born and raised in Canada, my first language is Cantonese but of course English became my primary language. I have 2 toddlers and we're trying to teach them Cantonese to the best of our abilities (spoken Cantonese as we're both pretty dismal in writing).

9. George and Nina

George and Nina New Member

Hello everyone, this is George (ABC-Cantonese) and Nina (MIT-Mandarin). We are currently living in the US, New Jersey, with our two sons Lukas (2 and 10 months old)) and Ethan (11 months old).

(George) My family is originally from Nanhai Guangzou, I am the only one born and raised in the US. Up until I started school Cantonese was my primary and only language since everyone only spoke Cantonese at home. I did not last long attending Chinese school on weekends, so read and writing is minimal.

(Nina) I was born in Taiwan but moved to the Philippines at age 9, then later moved to the US at age 18. English had become my strongest language. I can speak Mandarin fluently with some Taiwanese, can read and write but writing is out of practice (Last time I wrote a letter in Chinese to my brother he said I was using English grammar J) I really want to learn Cantonese.

We want to make sure our kids learn to speak both languages so we are enforcing OPOL in our house. We know it works having witnessed George’s niece and nephews (all grown adults now) being fluent in both languages. Our sister-in-law is also a Mandarin speaking Taiwanese, though she did learn to speak Cantonese very well too.

We are very excited to have found this forum to help provide a Chinese learning environment at home for our boys!

10. Norman

Norman New Member

Hi All

My name is Norman. I am a British Born Chinese living in Somerset. My son (7) and daughter (3) are both mixed Chinese/British. I speak Cantonese to my kids but they always reply back in English. My family all live in the Midlands so the kids never really get to hear anyone other than me speak Cantonese. It would be great if they can hear more Cantonese through film and TV so they get more exposure to it. There doesn't appear to be much Chinese activity/community here in the South West where they can go and meet children in a similar situation. If there is anyone around the Taunton area it would be great to hear from you.

11. Eva

Eva New Member

Hello everyone! I am from Hong Kong but living in London currently. I have 2 year old twins and have been teaching them Cantonese. It is going a little slow so I am hoping to introduce their favourite cartoons in Chinese. I would welcome any suggestions or activities which I can introduce to enhance their language skills.