Welcome to Mandonese!

歡迎大家! Mandonese is a community for parents who want to teach their children Mandarin and/or Cantonese. Please sign up to the website and find out we're all about.

1. Guest, please do not post any links until you have 3 posts, it will be rejected to prevent spam. This also affects signatures and "About You" in you profile.
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite tablet apps?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Andrew, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Andrew

Andrew Administrator
    Staff Member

We have an iPad that's pretty much exclusively used for our son Benjamin (now 3 years old) and is permanently encased in an Otterbox (one of those heavy duty tablet cases that you can throw at a wall and the iPad won't get damaged at all). It's been a lifesaver for our long trips, such as the recent LHR->HKG flight we did, as I managed to load up some of his favourite videos in Cantonese (Peppa Pig and Thomas the Tank Engine). He enjoys playing occasional simple games as well, like the excellent Peppa Pig interactive apps.

I'm wondering if people here recommend any specific apps whether is for iOS or Android, for helping children to be immersed in Chinese, whether it's Mandarin or Cantonese? There must be a massive wealth of stuff out there but it seems hard to find on the App Store from an English user's perspective.

2. Oopsydaisy

Oopsydaisy New Member

I like 'My Chinese Copybook', it teaches you how to write Chinese characters using the correct order of strokes

3. Andrew

Andrew Administrator
    Staff Member

This looks like an interesting app, will try it out.

4. CantoMumYin

CantoMumYin New Member

I download free apps for my daughter, she loves the one called LoveCantonese, it asks you in cantonese to choose the correct picture or character, ie colours, numbers in Chinese or body parts etc. It's a young boys voice and there is nice praise when you get things right, including reward 'stickers' to keep them interested. My daughter has learnt more advanced words from the app.

Oopsydaisy likes this.
  5. TeachKidsChinese

TeachKidsChinese New Member

6. Cindy Lau

Cindy Lau Member

Various parents have recommended the following from a thread on facebook:

1. Gus on the Go Cantonese app
    2. 123 count with me in cantonese. Lovely and simple pictures and sounds
    3. Chinese flash cards (mandarin and cantonese) by Inkids education.
    4. 4. Ktdict which is a Chinese dictionary app with audio function to pronounce words for you
    5. Chinese Writer (£7.99 in UK) to learn and practise stroke order and writing words in forms of games

would be great to see some reviews about this apps here :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  7. soh

soh New Member

I recently found a free app on Google Play store - Learning Chinese is Fun. Basic flash card style and spoken Cantonese. It allows you to record yourself speaking the words. It also has quizzes and other activities. I believe it's an app created for a HK curriculum.