Welcome to Mandonese!

歡迎大家! Mandonese is a community for parents who want to teach their children Mandarin and/or Cantonese. Please sign up to the website and find out we're all about.

1. Guest, please do not post any links until you have 3 posts, it will be rejected to prevent spam. This also affects signatures and "About You" in you profile.
    Dismiss Notice

Better Chinese - Comprehensive Homeschooling in Mandarin

Discussion in 'Children Learning Materials' started by Nick, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick New Member

2. Melissa Ng

Melissa Ng New Member

Thanks for sharing. Have you used any other learning materials and how are you managing? I don't speak any Mandarin but my partner like you who is English is learning Mandarin. He is interested in speaking it to our children but worried about teaching them wrong if you know what I mean. Any advice would be nice from someone who is doing it already :)

3. TeachKidsChinese

TeachKidsChinese New Member

Nick, what's your experience been with better Chinese? It's aimed for children with little Chinese background, right?

4. Andrew

Andrew Administrator
    Staff Member

It's amazing how a curriculum like that can allow non-native Chinese speakers to teach their kids Chinese..

5. TeachKidsChinese

I've always been interested in reviewing a program like this for our blog but I've never wanted to spend money on one since my wife is native and my chinese is intermediate / advanced

6. Nick

Nick New Member

It's the best home set I've come across for non-native parents and it's very economically priced when you look at the number of materials you receive. Some of the levels are a bit of a jump and the app support still needs a lot of work, but I'd say it's worth it.

7. Nick

Nick New Member

The pronunciation piece is big and I struggle with it constantly. You can sign up for courses through AllSet learning or hire a Mandarin tutor once a week and really focus on pronunciation. That's probably the biggest piece. Yoyo Chinese also does some really good stuff in video format. I just try very hard to listen to a lot of media and report as correctly as possible. When I'm around other Mandarin speakers, I'll try to practice as well and just make notes on when I'm not understood well and make that correction. The feedback I've gotten so far has been positive, so that keeps me motivated.

8. TeachKidsChinese

Nice. Would you be interested in writing a guest review of better chinese for our blog someday?

9. bamilton

bamilton New Member

Hi Everyone. I am an artist looking for somewhere or someone to teach me learn Chinese Mandarin. I am not so interested in a two hour tourist class, but would rather devote a couple weeks to learning the basics.
    If anyone knows how I could get started on finding someone to teach me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance

10. Flo Toronto

Flo Toronto New Member

If your husband thinks his Mandarin is not really great yet, he can watch Mandarin videos with him and at the same time try to give some "minor" contribution like parental guidance. I am doing the same to my son in German and think this can help :)